If you’re familiar with web hosting, you must be knowing that there are two popular operating systems i.e Windows and Linux.
Godaddy does support both Windows and Linux operating systems on their web hosting.
Many first-time web hosting buyers don’t know which operating to choose and many times they end up buying a hosting plan on a wrong operating system.
If you are one of those buyers who have bought a wrong web hosting plan and now want to switch your plan from Windows to Linux or from Linux to Windows, then this article is for you.
Note: This article is for Godaddy web hosting users. In this article, you will learn how to change Godaddy hosting from Linux to Windows or Windows to Linux.
So let’s get started.
If you have selected a wrong operating system during your shared hosting purchase with Godaddy and now you want to switch your hosting account operating system, you can do it anytime.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to achieve this.
Step-1: Login to your Godaddy Account
Before you do anything else, you need to login to your Godaddy account.
After you logged in, follow these steps
- Click on Web Hosting
- Now click on Options
- Now click on the Customize tab
Step-2: Select the Web Hosting Plan
Now it’s time to pick the web hosting plan you want to buy.
To switch your hosting account operating system, you need to cancel your existing plan and need to buy a new one.
After you click on the customize tab, you will see “Plan Menu”. From the “Plan Menu”, select the web hosting plan that you want to buy. You can consider buying Godaddy $1 per month web hosting plan if you want.
If you don’t find the “Plan Menu” under your account you can contact customer support.
Step-3: Complete Your Purchase
After you choose the new hosting plan with the operating system of your choice, it is the time to buy the hosting plan. You can now click on the “checkout button” to make a purchase.
After your purchase, it may take up to 72 hours to complete the migration process. The migration process time majorly depends upon the size of the site, the number of databases.
You will receive an email once the migration process is complete. It is advisable that you should not use FTP during the migration process.
Things to Know Before You Change from Plesk to cPanel or cPanel to Plesk Hosting in Godaddy
- You cannot switch the operating system of a hosting account created using a free credit, with a secure socket layer (SSL) installed on it.
- You cannot change the operating system of your hosting account if it has an active mobile site.
- If your site requires some special hosting feature such as ASP, ASP.NET, CGI, or PHP, it could be possible that the new operating system does not support those features. In this case, your site will not function properly. For example, a Linux hosting plan does not support ASP and ASP.NET.
- If you are moving a from Windows Hosting to Linux operating system and you’re using MS SQL databases on your site, you have to delete them before proceeding, since MS SQL databases are not supported on Linux web hosting platform.